is located in mid-Michigan along the Grand and Red Cedar Rivers.
The city was founded in 1835 by two brothers from New York, who
named the area Biddle Town.
After returning to New
York, the brothers sold plots of land to
settlers ready to move west.
Shortly after Michigan became the 26th state in 1837, the
state constitution mandated the state capital be relocated from
Detroit. At that time, there was a threat of invasion from
Detroitís proximity to
was a concern. After much debate, the legislature agreed on
the Lansing area for the new
capital. The state renamed the township after John Lansing, a New York patriot and one
of the official delegates to the Constitutional Convention.
Lansing grew economically, thus providing many opportunities for the
expanding population. In 1855, the Michigan Agricultural College,
the first land grant institution, was established. The Agricultural College
and the Michigan Female College
eventually combined to become
University. Other Lansing-based
colleges and universities include: Cooley Law School, Davenport University,
Great Lakes Christian College,
and Lansing Community College.
Lansing-based General Motors Corporation was the largest supplier of
goods during World War II. Founded by R. E. Olds in 1897 as
the Olds Motor Vehicle Company, GM produced airplanes, tanks, marine
diesel engines, trucks, machine guns, and shells. More than
$12 billion worth of goods were delivered to the Allied forces from